Call for Nominations – The 519 Annual General Meeting 2020-21
Monday, November 2, 2020
The 519 Board of Management ("Board") is currently seeking candidates for a minimum of one term (January 2021 – September 2022) who possess a robust mix of skills, knowledge, and experience, and reflect the diversity of the communities that The 519 works with.
In order to be elected to our Board, the nominee and nominators (2) must be members of The 519. Membership is the best way for you to show your support for The 519. Your involvement helps keep our communities vibrant, diverse, and connected.
Become a member or renew your membership
The Board's recruitment priorities include continuing to advance the representation of:
- Members of diverse racial and ethnocultural communities
- Members from Indigenous communities
- Trans/ non-binary people
- People with disabilities
- Older LGBTQ2S people
Skill and Experience Priorities
Deep understanding and demonstrated competencies in:
- Philanthropy and fundraising
- Community services sector
- Local government relations/ advocacy of LGBTQ2S issues
- Leadership in digital innovation
- Financial planning
- Board leadership and development
Nominees must meet the following minimum requirements:
- be over the age of 18.
- be a resident of the City of Toronto (residency includes living in the City of Toronto, owning or tenanting land there, or being the spouse of an owner or tenant).
- be a current member of The 519. At least 6 of the 11 elected members must reside in The 519's catchment area. The catchment area is bounded by Bay, Bloor, Parliament, and Gerrard streets.
- not be in a restricted category as defined in the City of Toronto's Public Appointments Policy
The 519 also requires confirmation of the following:
- membership status – be a member of The 519.
- your two nominators must be members of The 519.
- the contact information of two members of The 519 who have agreed to nominate you for the Board.
- provide signed declaration providing full disclosure of any conflict of interest or perceived, and declaring your understanding and commitment to fulfill the role of a Board member.
- a copy of your current resume or curriculum vitae.
- a short biography that will be published on The 519 website.
- a photo of yourself that will be published on The 519 website during the nomination process (optional, but preferred).
- a video of yourself about why you should be elected to the Board that will be published on The 519 website during the nomination process and shared with registered voters via secret ballot (optional, but preferred).
Please review The 519 policies and strategic priorities here.
Application and Nomination Form
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in becoming a Board member, please apply no later than Monday, November 16, 2020, 5:00pm local time by filling out the Application and Nomination Form.
All candidates that meet the eligibility requirements will be interviewed remotely by the Nominations Committee November 23-25, 2020. Candidates will be provided various options for participating in the interview for equitable access:
- Online/virtual video conferencing
- Phone-based interview
- Option to use The 519 building and equipment to participate in the virtual video interview (should the candidate not have access to required equipment). All health and safety policies for space use are to be followed.
Please let us know through your application if you require any support or accommodation at any point through this selection process.
Nominees will be notified of their status on December 1, 2020. Voting will take place remotely, on January 27, 2021 at our virtual Annual General Meeting.
Get our newsletter and special updates