CLUCK OFF DISCRIMINATION!
The 519 and our Army of Lovers will be joining Liberation T.O. on Friday, September 6 to protest the opening of Toronto’s first Chick-fil-A store at Yonge and Bloor. The US-based company and restaurant chain is known for its anti-LGBTQ2S agenda and politics.
We invite our communities and allies to meet at The 519 [519 Church St] at 9:30am for coffee and sign-making. We will leave for the protest site at 10:00am.
Starting Point: The 519 [519 Church St], 9:30am-10:00am
Protest: 1 Bloor St East, Toronto, 10:30am
Why are we protesting?
- Chick-fil-A has given millions of dollars to anti-LGBTQ2S organizations, including known hate groups and proponents of conversion therapy, and continues to do so every year.
- Chick-fil-A does not offer protection, benefits, or even diversity training for its LGBTQ2S employees (as evidenced in the Human Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index). While Canadian laws might offer more protection to workers, we stand against any corporation that discriminates against equity-seeking groups legally or illegally.
- Many US cities, campuses, and retail outlets have refused to allow Chick-fil-A to locate within their spaces, and/or have been vocal opponents of the corporation’s hateful values. Toronto and the rest of Canada need to be next in line.
It is time for hate and discrimination to #CluckOff.
- For more information about this event, please contact avi@The519.org, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- For media enquiries, please contact Media@The519.org.