Free workshop. Anyone 18+ may join. This class can be done by any fitness level, but it is a physical class. Facilitated by martial artist and self-defense instructor Chris James.
You can take breaks when needed and jump back in at any time.
We endeavour to create a safe space and be respectful at all times, but please be forewarned that we do talk about real-life scenarios that may be triggering to some.
Please only sign up if you are available for the full time. If you sign up and are unable to come, please let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023 workshop dates:
- Session 1 – Sunday, February 26
- Session 2 – Sunday, March 19
- Session 3 – Sunday, April 23
- Session 4 – Sunday, May 21
- Session 5 – Sunday, June 18
- Session 6 – Sunday, July 16
- Session 7 – Sunday, August 20 – Special session for BIPOC communities
- Session 8 – Sunday, September 17 – Special invite to our deaf and hard of hearing friends. We will have an ASL translator at the workshop.
- Session 9 – Sunday, October 15 – Special invitation to our sex worker friends.
- Session 10 – Sunday, November 19 – Special invitation to our 2 spirit, trans, and non-binary friends.
Happening at The 519 [519 Church St.] from 12 to 4pm.
About the facilitator: Chris James has been emersed in martial arts and volunteering for the last 10+ years, and merged these two passions together 5+ years ago when he started his charity initiative to share his knowledge of self-defense to his community. Along with his incredible volunteers, he has taught self-defense all over the GTA as well as internationally. Chris is thrilled to be partnering with The 519 to expand this initiative and help keep his community safe and secure.
Follow Chris on Facebook.