[MEDIA ADVISORY] A QUEER MIRACLE BY THE 519 - AT CHICK-FIL-A OPENING IN TORONTO TOMORROW
TORONTO, ONTARIO – (September 5, 2019) – The 519, Canada’s most prominent LGBTQ2S community centre, will join LiberationTO to protest US-based restaurant chain Chick-fil-A as they open their first Canadian franchise in Toronto on Friday, September 6. Chick-fil-A’s anti-LGBTQ2S agenda and politics is well-documented. This is an activation by Army of Lovers, an advocacy campaign of The 519, dedicated to protecting the rights of LGBTQ2S communities.
Activities at the protest will include local drag artists and a ‘queer miracle’.
- LGBTQ2S community members and their allies will come together and make their own unique signs to take to the protest.
9:30 am – 10:00 am at The 519 [519 Church Street]
- The group will convene outside Chick-fil-A’s outlet.
10:30 am at Chick-fil-A [1 Bloor Street East]
- After the event, the group will head back to The 519 and spokespeople will be available for interviews, discussions, and other community engagement activities around the issue.
12:30 pm onwards at The 519 [519 Church Street]
Journalists are welcomed to attend any part of the schedule, where interviews will be available with The 519 spokespeople.
- A statement is available from the organization should you not be able to attend: The519.org/news/2019-cluckoff
- Learn more about the initiative, and download the posters here: ArmyOfLovers.ca/cluck-off-discrimination/
About The 519
Located in downtown Toronto, The 519 is Canada’s most prominent LGBTQ2S Community Centre. A City of Toronto agency and a registered charity, The 519 strives to make a real difference in people’s lives, while contributing to the advancement of LGBTQ2S equality and inclusion in Toronto and beyond. The 519 is committed to the health, happiness and full participation of our communities. Aside from operating unique programs and services – including dedicated programs for LGBTQ2S newcomers and refugees, queer parents, seniors and trans communities – The 519’s 46,000 square foot facility provides valuable meeting space to over 250 community groups.
Dean Lobo - Coordinator, Communications, The 519
DLobo@The519.org | +1 (647) 884-7019