Skip to main content

April 6, 2023

Created by the Ministry of Health Ontario.

This guide is for trans and non-binary people living in Ontario who have not updated their health card with their chosen name but would like to have their proof of vaccine certificate reflect their chosen name.


  1. Call your local Public Health Unit and ask to set up an appointment to update your name on your vaccine certificate. Please visit Public Health Unit Locator ( to find a list of Public Health Units in Ontario and their contact information.
  2. Bring your IDs with you to your appointment. The birthdate needs to be the same on all IDs but name and gender can be different.
  3. The Public Health Unit will update your name in the COVID-19 vaccine certificate database (COVaxON).
  4. Go to to download your updated certificate.

You must have at least one form of documentation with your chosen name. This document or combination of documents from the list below must include: a name, birth date and photo ID.

There are several forms of documentation which can be used including:

  • Driver’s licence
  • Birth certificate
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Passport
  • Piece of registered mail
  • Pay stub
  • Student card
  • Library card
  • Club or organization ID cards
  • Government-issued identification from other jurisdictions including foreign passports, other provincial or territorial health cards, or driver’s licence.

What to do if you have no ID

If you have no ID, you may work with the public health unit and/or community organizations, school or medical provider to verify your identity. This may be provided in the form of a letter.

Expired identity documents are also accepted for this purpose.

After you’ve updated your vaccine certificate with your chosen name

If you need to travel outside of Canada but haven’t updated your passport with your Chosen Name, you will need to travel under your old IDs.

If so, call the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre (PVCC) and ask them to switch back your vaccine certificate to your former name / name on your Ontario health card. You can then download the vaccine certificate in your former name. When you return to Canada, call the PVCC again to switch your vaccine certificate back to your chosen name.

When talking to vaccine providers, clinics, public health units, or the PVCC, let them know that you have updated your proof of vaccine credential to your chosen name.

Need help or have questions?

Call the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 (TTY for people who are deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired: 1-866-797-0007), Available in over 300 languages, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.,