“My voice rings down through thousands of years,
To coil around your body and give you strength,
You who have wept in direct sunlight,
Who have hungered in invisible chains,
Tremble to the cadence of my legacy:
An army of lovers shall not fail.”
— Rita Mae Brown
We were inspired by writer Rita Mae’s iconic and inspiring words to name our advocacy campaign, which focuses on organizing around issues impacting 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
Our history tells us that if we don’t resist, we die. And that we get nothing without a fight. Today, 2SLGBTQ+ communities are facing a rising backlash against the progress we have made over the years to ensure that nobody is left behind:
- Rising levels of organized hate crimes
- A global resurgence in populism, motivated in part by homophobia, transphobia, racism, and xenophobia, among others
- Legislation attacking the rights of trans folks, especially youth, to gender-affirming care and other essential supports
- Attacks on drag artists working hard to promote inclusive and brave spaces
- Devastating reductions in government funding to programs and services that 2SLGBTQ+ folks rely on to live meaningful and affirming lives, and much more
Army of Lovers represents and is our commitment to fight with our communities for the world we want. From your homes and workspaces to the streets, and everywhere in between, we ask you to join us in whatever way you can, to advocate for the rights and dignity of all 2SLGBTQ+ people.