The 519 would like to extend a huge shout-out and thanks to everyone who rallied, and continues to rally, to keep our communities safe and united.
Following the violent incident on Tuesday, April 30, which targeted our neighbourhood through hate-filled anti-LGBTQ2S rhetoric, we wanted to provide you with some important community updates. Read about the incident here: Facebook Post
Reach out to us for support
- Crisis Counselling Support: We continue to extend our offers of support to those who were impacted by the events of Tuesday evening. If you need crisis counselling support, get in touch with us.
- Information Sharing: If you have any footage or documentation from the incident that took place between approximately 4:45-7pm at Church and Wellesley, let us know. It will help us in understanding the incident from different points of view.*
- Reporting incidents: If you witness or experience targeted violence in relation to homo/bi/transphobia, racism, islamophobia, anti-immigration, etc. let us know.
- Services/Referrals: If you are impacted by an incident of violence and are in need of support, we can connect you to support and make formal referrals.
How to reach out
You can contact our Anti-Violence Initiatives (AVI) team in the following ways:
- Email avi@The519.org
- Call our direct line at 416-355-6792
You can also access support by contacting the following crisis lines 24hrs a day 7 days a week:
- Gerstein Crisis Centre (24/7): 416-929-5200
- Toronto Distress Centre (24/7): 416-408-4357
- Toronto Rape Crisis Centre (24/7): 416-597-8808
- Trans Life Line: 1-877-330-6366
- Kids Help Phone: (24/7) 1-800-668-6868
Way forward – Let’s organize
The 519’s Anti-Violence Initiatives team is committed to supporting our communities in the many ways in which violence manifests in the lives of 2 Spirit, queer and trans people. We have some upcoming engagement opportunities to build our team and community capacity to eradicate the pervasive experiences of violence in the lives of LGBTQ2S people.
Ways to get involved in our anti-violence organizing work:
- If you are interested in being looped into our anti-violence organizing and mobilization efforts please email avi@The519.org.
- Placard making:
- We will be hosting a placard/banner/poster/button making event here at The 519 on Monday, May 6, 2019 from 6 - 8pm in the Glass Lobby Room.
- We will generate large and beautiful placards with our messages of community solidarity and love.
- These placards will be stored at The 519 and will be ready for rapid access should we need to mobilize into the village in the event of future incidents of this nature.
- Keep an eye out for upcoming:
- Community Mobilization Workshops
- Infographics/Tips & Tricks/Fact Sheets on topics such as: How to Engage in Effective Public Protest, Responding to the Promotion of Hate, Know Your Rights, and more.
Remember - we are resilient and have long histories of resistance. An Army of Lovers Shall Not Fail.