LOCATION: The 519
Reporting to the Director, Operations, these positions provide friendly and informative service at the front desk, including knowledge of a broad range of community information. This position also provides support to members of the leadership team and other departments, and works in collaboration with other members of the team.
- As the first point of contact for visitors to The 519, maintains a friendly and helpful atmosphere and provides information on procedures, programs, and staff roles.
- Supports Centre Host volunteers in the use of Centre Host computer, in line with The 519’s Acceptable Use Policy, to access relevant information and community resources.
- Provides guidance in the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Directs individuals to meeting rooms or community resources, as needed.
- Answers the central telephone system, receives messages, and relays calls for staff.
- Assists maintenance /cleaning team members with the set-up of furniture and equipment in meeting rooms as necessary.
- Operates other office equipment such as copiers, printers and the fax machine.
- Responds to the general email box within 48 hours of receipt or relays messages to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains daily records of use of the facility.
- Reviews the building log book and enters information as needed: equipment breakdown, phone calls to, arrival and departure times of trade or repair technicians, set-up information for room bookings, and other relevant building information.
- As per The 519’s Cash Handling Procedure, provides receipts for all monies received by the agency during each work shift. Provides daily reports regarding funds received.
- Secures funds, receipts and daily report periodically throughout the shift if needed, and at the end of each shift.
- Ensure all cheques received are passed to Philanthropy Department for receipting.
Safety and Security:
- Is a front door key holder and pass card holder for The 519’s alarm system.
- On closing the building, conducts a thorough building check using the Building Closure Check List to ensure that the building is secure and that individuals who are not authorized to be in the building after closing have left.
- Maintains security of keys and equipment loaned to staff and authorized volunteers by using the sign out system. Collects and records fees for equipment use.
- Monitors equipment use and assists groups with set-up of The 519’s sound system LCD projector and public computer equipment as required.
- Monitors the front lobby and public areas of the main floor. Interacts with visitors in these spaces and proactively assists visitors with resources, as needed. Reminds visitors of The 519’s behavioural expectations as needed. Requests assistance from staff to assist visitors with community resources, as needed.
- Monitors the entrance and egress of individuals using the building. Promptly responds to emergency and/or dangerous situations in accordance with the Crisis Intervention and Service Restriction Policy. Calls for assistance from other staff and/or 911 when necessary. Emergency situations may include but are not limited to: assisting people who are homeless or under-housed, people who have mental health issues or addictions, or other vulnerable community members.
- Completes and signs an Incident Report form immediately after an incident (when possible) or within 24 hours of an incident, in accordance with the Incident Reporting Procedure. Prints and files report in accordance with procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Secondary school education and related experience in customer service in a community agency.
- Knowledge of relevant community resources including knowledge, experience and understanding of issues faced by 2SLGBTQ+ identified individuals.
- Commitment to social justice principles and an understanding of the intersection of gender, race, sexuality, and class; this position requires a commitment to and passion for social justice.
- Some experience with crisis intervention, de-escalation, and supportive assistance to people who are vulnerable or who may experience mental health problems or addictions.
- Highly developed problem solving, and communication skills and ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team structure.
- Demonstrated experience supporting volunteers.
- Proficient in Windows, MS Office, including word processing, spreadsheet, applications.
||Union Position – CUPE Local 2998 – Wage Grade 1
|Starting Hourly Rate
||$16.05/hour starting rate (City of Toronto 2023 Wage Grid for Union Staff)
(Range $16.05/hour-$20.02/hour; currently under review)
||Optional enrolment in OMERS pension plan from day one
|Hours of Work
||As needed, must be available to work daytime, evenings, and weekends
||4% vacation pay, paid bi-weekly
||Due to the nature of the work, this job will be performed onsite
Email your cover letter and resume as one document to Careers@the519.org. There is no deadline to apply; if the posting is up, we are accepting applications and will review on an ongoing basis. Please quote Job #23-08 and your name in the cover letter and in the subject line of the email. For example, in the subject line write “Job 23-08 First Name Last Name”. Please also share which pronouns you would like us to use when corresponding with you (directly and within The 519) in your email or your cover letter.
The 519 actively encourages applicants from all equity seeking groups. The 519 embraces diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We thank all applicants. No agencies please.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Click here to down a PDF copy of the full job posting.