ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY
Anyone eligible is invited to apply for this position.
Reporting to the Manager, Community Relations and Communications, the Coordinator, Communications will develop and implement a wide variety of internal and external communications strategies that support the organizations strategic objectives. This role requires a creative and solutions-oriented professional with exceptional storytelling skills.
· Liaise with Program Coordinators to build digital marketing content for a diversity of programs.
· Provide expertise to the annual communications plan for The 519, including program promotion, special events marketing, digital and social media strategies, advocacy initiatives, fundraising campaigns and external newsletters.
· Develop and implement standardized planning processes, and take the necessary steps to ensure consistent branding with overall design and public image.
· Develop and implement branding, marketing, and promotional strategies for The 519’s philanthropic initiatives and productive enterprises.
· Develop and implement outreach strategies for e-newsletters to broaden audiences and engagement.
· Coordinate The 519’s content management systems and support development of communication materials, including but not limited to signage, newsletters, brochures, annual reports, impact stories, special event collateral, website copy, and social media content, in a multi-stakeholder environment with competing priorities.
· Coordinate the activities of and liaise with graphic designers, advertising and PR representatives, printers, writers and volunteers to meet the department’s goals in a timely manner.
· Balance team and individual responsibilities, exhibit openness to others’ views, give and welcome feedback, contribute to building a positive leadership team outlook and support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
· Maintain appropriate record keeping, conduct research, analysis and prepare regular timely reports and statistical information that support the department.
· Participate in and support The 519’s broader activities, policies and procedures.
· Implement and abide by The 519’s policies and procedures and comply with all applicable legislation and regulations including The 519’s anti-discrimination and harassment policies, confidentiality, MFIPPA and purchasing and inventory control systems.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
1. Post-secondary education in related field with 3+ years of demonstrated communications experience, or an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
2. Excellent writing skills with demonstrative experience in business and creative writing.
3. Complementary content creation skills including photography and video production for digital marketing considered an asset.
4. Professional experience with communications techniques and practices, including content management systems, print production, social media management, collateral development, design and advertising.
5. Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint and experience managing and using donor databases.
6. Customer-centric approach to working with a range of internal and external partners, often with varied perspectives, conflicting priorities, and time sensitive deadlines.
7. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team structure. Demonstrated ability to anticipate problems and conflicts, actively seek solutions, and de-escalate situations
8. Knowledge of and experience working in the 2SLGBTQ+ communities including an awareness of current issues and trends impacting these communities.
9. Commitment to social justice principles and a strong understanding of the intersection of gender, race, sexuality, and class; this position requires a commitment to and passion for social justice.
10. Design skills and proficiency in current design software including Adobe CS3 Suite considered an asset.
11. Excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Position Status: Full Time Ongoing (40 hours per week)
Union Status: Union Position – CUPE Local 2998 – Wage Grade 9
Hourly Rate:$26.65/hour (City of Toronto 2023 Wage Grid for Union Staff)
Benefits: Enrolled in health, dental, life and disability benefits after completing probation. Mandatory OMERS pension enrollment effective day one.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., some evenings and weekends may be required as needed.
Location: Hybrid; onsite 3 days/week (subject to operational requirements).
Email your cover letter and resume as one document to Careers@the519.org no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 1, 2023. Please quote Job #23-02 and your name in the cover letter and in the subject line of the email. For example, in the subject line write “Job 23-02 First Name Last Name”. Please also share which pronouns you would like us to use when corresponding with you (directly and within The 519) in your email or your cover letter.
The 519 actively encourages applicants from all equity seeking groups. The 519 embraces diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.