The 519 is a City agency and registered charity seeking to provide free dental care to underserved LGBTQ refugees in Canada. The refugees who would benefit from this program have been forced to leave their countries of origin due to persecution and violence based on their gender identity and sexual orientation.
We are requesting motivated dentists, dental hygienists, or students aspiring to work in the dental health field for help by volunteering at The 519.
Your skills and passion for helping others would benefit our communities and our clients who are accessing barriers to dental care. Dental health is often one of the most critically underserved healthcare fields, and there are LGBTQ people who are in desperate need of your abilities and generosity.
Volunteers who are interested in helping with this project at The 519 are required to have working knowledge of the Russian language, must have completed their dental school training, and should have some work experience in their chosen field.
We look forward to working together to build a sustainable dental program for our underserved communities.
Skills and Experiences:
- Working knowledge of Russian language.
- Graduate Degree in Dentistry from a recognized university and have, or be eligible for a license from the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
- Extensive experience working in a dental office.
- Experience in the field of removable prosthetics and paediatric dentistry.
- Knowledge of Public Health dental programs.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and commitment to the Toronto Public Service; work effectively with various and diverse stakeholders, i.e. children, parents and adults.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate innovation amongst diverse stakeholders, staff and build a solid team environment.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.
- Ability to approach and engage community members
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Experience in community engagement or similar work
- Understanding of issues faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual and queer (LGBTQ) people, and other issues engaged with by The 519 programs and services
- Knowledge of The 519 will be an asset.
- Six to Nine month commitment
If you would like to apply or receive more information please send email to: Volunteer@The519.org