The annual Income Tax Clinic assists low-income community members (earnings under $40,000) with calculating and preparing income tax forms. Clinic volunteers assess, prepare and file clients income tax forms.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Tax Filers, or
- Tax Clinic Hosts
Responsibilities: Tax Filers
- Assist clients with filling out all necessary and relevant current-year tax
- Provide adequate referrals to clients who cannot be assisted by The 519 Income Tax Clinic
- Preparing of tax forms
- Ensure that clinic statistics and forms are prepared accurately
Responsibilities: Tax Clinic Hosts
- Greet and welcome clients as they arrive at The 519
- Ensure that clients have all necessary documentation
- Work with Front Desk staff to ensure the smooth coordination of the appointment schedule and
- Understanding of issues faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual and queer (LGBTQ) people, people with low incomes or who live in poverty, and people whose first language is not English.
- General knowledge of Ontario/Canada tax and benefit forms
- Previous experience using UFile an asset
- Competency in Spanish, French, Mandarin, Urdu, and Hindi an asset
The Tax clinic runs from March through April each year. Volunteer schedules are flexible based on volunteer availability.
Here are the steps that are required for volunteers that have not yet registered for the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP)?
- Register yourself as a CVITP volunteer under the heading “How to volunteer”
- Register for an EFILE account
- If you already have an EFILE number then renew.
If you would like to apply for one of these opportunities please click on the appropriate Apply button below or if you would receive more information please send an email to Volunteer@The519.org.
Apply now Tax Filer Volunteer
Apply now Tax Clinic Host Volunteer