About Family Support Programs:
The 519 Family Resource Centre is a supportive place for families of diverse identities and configurations and their children (age 0 to 6) to meet, play, talk, learn and grow with each other. We provide early learning activities, music and movement, creative experiences, nutritious snacks, and parent education.
Volunteers support all areas of family focused programs and special events; such as assisting with: arts and recreation activities, early learning and parent education projects, nutrition and snack preparation, event organizing and delivery
Skills and Experiences:
• Knowledge of and/or experience with parenting, child development and family support
• Experience working with or supporting children 0-6
• Experience with or providing arts and/or recreational activities
• Knowledge of family support services
• Knowledge of and experience with the ways LGBTQ people create families, an asset
• Understanding of issues faced by Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, 2-Spirit and Queer parents, grandparents, caregivers and their children, an asset
• First Aid Certification, an asset
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Police Records Check required (can be completed by The 519)
9:30AM- 1:30PM or 5:00PM-8:00PM on Tuesday's,
9:30AM- 1:30PM on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Note: We require the volunteer to commit to a minimum of one shift per week. Friday's and Tuesday's are our busiest days.
Training and Orientation:
Will be provided by staff, Family Resource Centre Staff on first scheduled shift.
Interested volunteers are asked to attend this Info Session and may be asked to participate in a group and/or one on one interview to determine suitability