- Supports the Supervisor in the ordering of produce, meat and dried goods supplies for The 519’s food services and helps to ensure that the receiving and inventory requirements are met and there is limited food wastage;
- Coordinates the food production and general kitchen activities of the cooks, ensuring The 519’s high quality food specifications and standards are met at all times. This includes providing task assignment and direction during shifts;
- Prepares, cooks and serve meals in the various food service outlets. This may include, but not limited to, soups, sauces, bread and desserts, rice and starches, meat, fish, and poultry, fresh and processed vegetables, canning, preserving and other food production. Specialization may be assigned by the supervisor;
- Works in various settings including The 519’s FABARNAK Café, Event and Catering services and food drop-in programs, employing a professional, friendly and courteous customer service approach in all activities;
- Prepares meals within specified time frame, and ensuring quality and consistent product based on established standards;
- Ensures that all scheduled catering contract requirements are met, including the set up/tear down of events;
- Assists in planning and production of daily and weekly specials, program food need, and special events;
- Works with, directs and assists volunteers in food production, service and cleaning;
- Cleans and maintains all work surfaces, including tables and floors, at completion of meals and removes all dirty dishes and flatware, pots and pans to washing area;
- Cleans and sanitizes kitchen equipment and appliances such as: meat slicers, mincers, choppers, mixers, ovens, grills, deep fryers, steamers, skillets etc.;
- Sorts and disposes of garbage according to the recycling program and maintains garbage cans and bins in a clean and sanitary manner;
- As scheduled washes, cleans and sanitizes all kitchen counters, tables, floors, bins, refrigerators, freezers, garbage containers, dining room furniture, shelves, windows, walls, carts, trolleys, coffee and beverage machines and any equipment used in the preparation of food and in serving areas;
- Delivers food supplies and food to dining/serving and preparation areas. Collects and disposes of/or saves leftovers and waste from these areas;
- Completes inventory tracking sheets, prepares food and supplies orders for approval, receives goods, confirms order accuracy, lifts, carries, unpacks and properly stores supplies/food in refrigerators, freezers and various storage areas and rotates food according to expiry dates throughout the building;
- Complies with all requirements and guidelines related to safe food handling practices, and all other applicable legislation and regulations including but not limited to Health and Safety legislation and The 519 and City of Toronto internal policies;
- Interacts with the customers, take food orders, prepares and serves food according to portion control guidelines, checks food temperature, quality and correct dietary application. Handles cash and debit payments following internal policies, reconciles sales with cash at the end of each shift, reports discrepancies immediately to the supervisor;
- Other duties as assigned.
The 519 actively encourages applicants from all equity seeking groups. The 519 embraces diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.